Ask a Dentist   »  

Painful vein in cheek, tenderness below mandible. Any idea what this may be?

Dentist, Prosthodontics
I have what feels like a vein in my right cheek about the circumference of a pencil from top to bottom that hurts and I'm feeling achy an weak. It started last week with tenderness right below my mandible and over the course of 1 week worked its way up to my maxillary area. Any idea what this may be? I am very worried
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 1 hour later

After reading your symptoms, I feel that you may have developed a swelling of salivary gland, due to blockage of the duct.

It may be a stone of Stensen's duct or an infected parotid gland. Your doctor may give you medicines for the same.

Please consult a head and neck surgeon or ENT Surgeon and get it evaluated.
Ideally your doctor, will ask you to get an ultrasound of the swelling to help in detecting any focal lesion.

Meanwhile you should keep yourself hydrated by having lots of water and sucking on lemon will increase the salivary flow and may reduce or relieve the swelling.

Hope you feel better soon. If you have any more queries, i'll be happy to help.
Follow-up: Painful vein in cheek, tenderness below mandible. Any idea what this may be? 18 minutes later
So would this also be making me feel feverish and lethargic?
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 18 minutes later
Thanks again for writing.

Yes, the swelling due to the above-mentioned causes may lead to general malaise i.e.: feverish feeling, lethargy, body ache etc. Once the problem gets resolved, your other symptoms will also get relieved. Along with the treatment, adequate rest will also help.

Hope you feel better soon.