Painful swollen lump on hand. Taking medicine. Blood work done. How to cure this lump?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a very painful swollen lump on the front of my right hand that I believe is at a blood draw site from a recent hospital visit and I don't know where or why it came from.

I was diagnosed with sle lupus, sjorgans syndrome ad Raynaud's disease a year and a half ago. Symptoms include but ate not limited to loss of hair (everyone of my eyebrows fell out) soars with puss rings around them that leave pitting scaring on my face and arms, dry mouth and eyes, gastroentestinal problems, constant severe neaseau, pain and swelling of joints all over my body, soar and tender muscles to the touch, vision loss, weight loss, peeling and hardening of the skin around fingertips and toes, numbness and tingling of the right side of my skull and of my arms and hands and severe loss of muscle use of my hands. Sciezures, blackouts, severe memory loss and fatigue, loss of cordination and dizziness all symptoms are currently being treated with meds. Current meds are vyvanse and colonapin ADD, gabapenton, evoxac, plaquinil, trazadone, requip, vicaprofin, Percocet, Prevacid, salmon oil, vitamin b and d and I believe that is all. And yet my bloodwork is fine except XXXXXXX scattered and titter.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
I have seen the photograph attached. The painful swollen lump seems to be due to local thrombophlebitis- inflammation of the vein after drawing the blood (It is inflammation of the superficial veins of the hand) or a tendonitis- inflammation of the tendon.
For relief of your symptoms, you can follow some simple measures like-
* Apply moist heat to reduce inflammation and pain
* Keep pressure off of the area to reduce pain and decrease the risk of further damage
* Raise the hand to reduce swelling.
You can have mild pain killers like acetaminophen for pain and inflammation. Applying thrombophob ointment locally will also help to reduce the swelling.
If you develop fever, intense pain or the swelling spreads further proximally then it indicates infection and spreading of the venous clot in which case you need to consult your physician immediately.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Painful swollen lump on hand. Taking medicine. Blood work done. How to cure this lump? 11 hours later
Thank you very much!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards