Painful swollen ankles. Taking colchicine 0.6mg for elevated uris acid. How to get relief from pain?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
A few weeks ago I felt a pain above my right ankle and just ignored it then it swelled and became very painful I went to a podiatst who did X-rays and found no injury around ankle and sent me for a Uris acid test she said it was elevated at 5 and wraped me and gave me some colchicine 0.6mg my swelling went down i still fell the small pain a ove my right ankle and the area is dark
Posted Mon, 14 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

From description , it seems you might suffering from acute attack of gout.

Your doctor had already started colchicine to overcome the acute attack.As inflammation subsides, the little pain present over your right ankle will also go off.

Take steps to reduce the risk of future attacks.

*Control your weight. Being overweight increases your risk for gout.

*Limit alcohol, especially beer. Alcohol can reduce the release of uric acid by the kidneys into your urine, causing an increase of uric acid in your body.

*Limit meat and seafood. Diets high in meat and seafood (high-purine foods) can raise uric acid levels.

*Follow a moderate exercise program.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.