Painful swelling in the groin area after vigorous exercising. Muscle knot or Hernia?

I am 62, go to gym frequently and stationary bike quite a bit. I recently doubled my bike time to aid in weight control. I also lately started wearing swimsuit under sweats as the vigorous biking was destroying underpants. I also tend to away sit on one side of saddle rather than the other. About one week ago had developed pain in grin on that favored side. I decided to lay off till it subsided. Then about four days ago I noticed lump in grion area where swimsuit netting would have terminated. Lump got larger about 3" x 3" but now is either stabilized or perhaps decreasing in size but hard to tell. Other note about two to three years ago developed what doc said was muscle knot in same area. I stooped riding then till it disappeared and switched from a spinning type mount to a lifecycle for a broader seat. As I have no insurance when should I push panic button on this?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 hours later

Most likely the swelling is due to the tight swim suit due to vigorous biking itself. Vigorous biking/exercise and tight swim suit can cause on of the following which could be reason why the lump has appeared:
1.      Edema (accumulation of fluid under the skin or between the muscle fibres). Edema would regress spontaneously in a few days with proper rest. Applying hot packs will help in faster healing.
2.      Abscess because of a trivial injury. Abscess is a result of infection. It may need to be treated by surgical drainage and appropriate antibiotics.
3.     Hernia due to gymming, cycling, lifting heavy weights, etc. It will not reduce on its self.

A proper focal examination of the lump by a competent surgeon will be helpful in confirming the diagnosis.

As you plan to consult your surgeon, in the mean time please watch out for the following symptoms:
1. Fever
2. Extreme pain at the site
3. Change of color
4. Increase in size
5. Difficulty in passing urine

You could also do the following:

1. Avoid wearing tight briefs, switch to boxers.
2. Avoid lifting heavy weights.
3. If there is pain please avoid cycling as well.
3. Keep the area around the groin clean and avoid moisture.

I hope I have answered your query, if there are no further queries please accept my answer.

Have a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Painful swelling in the groin area after vigorous exercising. Muscle knot or Hernia? 14 hours later
If it were a Hernia should the mass be hard or soft?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 hours later
Thank you for reverting.

A hernia will have the following characteristics

1. It will be soft
2. Sometimes the mass is reducible (which means that the contents of the mass disappear when the mass is pushed into the abdomen)
3. Sometimes the mass increases in size on coughing.
4. If the consistency of the mass feels like there is fluid within, then it could be a hydrocele

Please follow the advice I had given earlier and also visit general surgeon soon for a physical exam.

I hope I have answered to your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

I wish you good health.