Painful & stiff neck, tender lump on throat, difficulty & pain in turning head, red bumps on tongue. Have loads of stress. Is that the cause?

ENT Specialist
Hello, I have painful and stiff neck (right side- goes from behind my ear to below my neck) for about a month. Yesterday, I noticed a lump on right side of my throat. When I touch it, it hurts. I feel the pulls on it. The size of it is as big as an olive.When I turn my head to left or right, my entire right side is slightly painful. There are also small red bumps on tip of my tongue. I have had huge amount of stress last 3-4 months. I am not sure that would cause that. Please advice.
Thank you in advance.
I am afraid of cancer. Right now, I do not have insurance to go to doctor immediately. I also don't know what specialist to go.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. You should see a Physician or an ENT Specialist. Get your throat and tonsils examined. Get an Ultrasound of the Neck done by a Radiologist. The small mass can be identified and a FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) by a Pathologist will settle the diagnosis.

2. The most common cause will be an inflamed or infected lymph node (there are about 300 lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region) or a salivary gland. The lymph node of the tonsil is known as the Jugulo Digastric (JD) node and is next to the angle of the jaw in the neck.

3. The small red bumps on your tongue may be due to vitamin deficiencies, acid reflux, local infections, including fungal and viral infections. All these conditions are worsened by stress.

4. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.