Painful spot on roof of mouth when food or hot drink touches it, red hole, bleeds when pushed. What is it?
User rating for this question
A spot on the roof of my hurts when food or hot drink touches it. I looked in the mirror and looks like there is a small red hole there and a bit red around it, but it is hard to tell. It has been there about 4 days. When I push hard on it, I see a very small amount of blood. what is it?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Thanks for the query
The symptoms described by you seems to be of 'aphthous ulcer' over the palate.
An aphthous ulcer also known as stress ulcer is a type of mouth ulcer that presents as a painful open sore inside the oral cavity. Stress, spices, alcohol intake, smoking, certain medications, acidity, etc can cause this type of ulcers.
Do not worry, it can be easily treated. Do not meddle with the ulcer, it can be painful.
Drink plenty of water; avoid smoking/alcohol/coffee/tea/spicy food. Also, avoid hot and cold drinks for few days.
Oral vitamin B12, topical (local application) corticosteroids and pain relievers (such as diclofenac or ibuprofen) remain the mainstays of treatment.
Hope I have answered the query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
People also viewed
- Roof of mouth bleeding when brushing
- Globus due to tooth abcess
- Prescribed pony dsr symptoms of typhoidwhat is possible treatment
- Have chest pain breathlessness headache dizziness what to do
- Child had surgery for skull fracture is travelling safe
- Roof of mouth pain and bleeding
- Mouth bleeding when on meth
- Can i take flucloxacillin for abcess
- Sudden pain in chest and left arm oftensuggestions
- On strict diet is it nutritious
- Lower molar tooth abcess
- Red spots and bleeding on roof of mouth
- Mouth bleeding when asleep
- Abscess still firm after drain
- Voltarol tooth abcess