Ask a Dentist   »  

Painful spot on roof of mouth when food or hot drink touches it, red hole, bleeds when pushed. What is it?

ENT Specialist
A spot on the roof of my hurts when food or hot drink touches it. I looked in the mirror and looks like there is a small red hole there and a bit red around it, but it is hard to tell. It has been there about 4 days. When I push hard on it, I see a very small amount of blood. what is it?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms described by you seems to be of 'aphthous ulcer' over the palate.

An aphthous ulcer also known as stress ulcer is a type of mouth ulcer that presents as a painful open sore inside the oral cavity. Stress, spices, alcohol intake, smoking, certain medications, acidity, etc can cause this type of ulcers.

Do not worry, it can be easily treated. Do not meddle with the ulcer, it can be painful.

Drink plenty of water; avoid smoking/alcohol/coffee/tea/spicy food. Also, avoid hot and cold drinks for few days.

Oral vitamin B12, topical (local application) corticosteroids and pain relievers (such as diclofenac or ibuprofen) remain the mainstays of treatment.

Hope I have answered the query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon