Painful sores in armpit, becoming yellow, taking Cymbalta and Abilify for schizo affective disorder

Question
Absces in my armpit?I have 2 large, very painful sores on my left
armpit.
They were not a pressingly painful issue until Friday, at work, when i noticed i was sweating and my shirt was irritating the sores even more.
In the span of my shift, they went from small whitehead-like pimples to 4/5 times their initial size, also changing to a XXXXXXX reddish purple on one sore and both having
ball-like feeling bulbs under the surface of my skin.
Sores are now becoming more and more yellow near the base, and very tender at the top.
I have come to the point in which it pains me to lift my arm, so that my hand can touch my right shoulder, i can't take hold of things given to me if i dont step close, and wearing a teeshirt and bra is unbearable.
It is also on the arm of my dominant hand.

The pain is constantly at an 8.5 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being fully unbearable pain.
I am
-Female
-23 years of age
- taking medication for schizo affective disorder (cymbalta and abilify)
-no allergies to medicines

Thank you in advance for any advice as i fear for my ability to sleep and go back to work on Tuesday and they are quite a hideous sight to behold.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

It seems that you are suffering with folliculitis.

You should consult a general surgeon or skin specialist to confirm diagnosis and for prescription of treatment.

After consultation with your doctor, you should take proper antibiotic like cephalexin orally and anti-inflammatory like brufen with paracetamol and some ointment like Ensamycin for local application for couple of days.

You can wash your armpit with chlorhexidine lotion.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Painful sores in armpit, becoming yellow, taking Cymbalta and Abilify for schizo affective disorder 3 hours later
Hi, thank you for your promptness to reply.
I was wondering if there was any medical procedure to be had with the condition?
I am about to call my provider with Healthy Way LA to see if there is a clinic i can go to today, as i am not home until tonight and work in the morning.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 32 minutes later

Welcome again,

If pus is coming out, daily cleaning and dressing will be required. If pus is present but not coming out, incision can be given to drain it out.

To identify causative organism and effective antibiotics, culture & sensitivity test of pus can be done.

As soon as, pus finds its way to come out, pain decreases.

If analgesic anti-inflammatory is available without prescription, you can start T.Brufen-600 thrice daily with food for pain relief, till you manage consultation with a doctor.

With good wishes,