Painful scalp, some hard spots near crown region, at the back of head. What is this ?

General Surgeon
Over the past three days I have a painful scalp and I have noticed that there are some hard spots which have developed and are painful to touch.
As of now these spots are concentrated near the crown region, though i can feel a few of them on the lower side at back of my head.
It also pains while sleeping on pillow and when I press my palm against my head.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 11 hours later

Thank you for the query.

The painful spots on the scalp may be furuncles. It refers to inflammation of follicles. The cause is generally staphylococcal infection.

You need to be started on antibiotics like broad spectrum cephalosporin like cefpodixime along with clavulanic acid for a week. Your surgeon/dermatologist can prescribe you the antibiotics. So I suggest you to see them.

In the mean time, non steroidal antiinflammatory drugs like motrin will take care of pain and inflammation. Warm compresses will also benefit you. And do not use hair oils till the condition become normal.

Blood sugar examination to rule out diabetes is important as high blood sugars are usually associated with large furuncles. Discuss with your doctor and get fasting and 2 hr post prandial blood sugar tests done if required.

Hope this helps and you get well soon. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Best Regards
Follow-up: Painful scalp, some hard spots near crown region, at the back of head. What is this ? 14 hours later

Thank you so much for taking out time to reply. I don't have diabetes, I have had my blood test done last month. Is there any cream or lotion you would recommend (OTC or otherwise) ? This condition has appeared out of nowhere in past 3 days, is there any danger of hair loss ? Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh 8 hours later
Thank you for writing back.
You can apply soframycin ointment and neosporin powder locally. If the condition subsides without pus formation, there is a less chance of hair loss. I would suggest you see your general physician and get an evaluation done.
Hope this helps.