Ask a Dentist   »  

Painful reddish lump in the middle of the palate. Reason and treatment?

2-3 days with severe pain from a red bump right in the middle of my palate, towards my front teeth?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 minutes later

I can understand your concern for this painful mouth lump but it can be a blocked minor saliva gland or vesicle (viral infection) or reaction to minor trauma (food). The other possibility is of a small cyst in the mouth. Keep an eye on it. If it grows in size then it was a small cyst.

Since you had a recent sinus infection, it can be due to the viral infection causing the sinus infection or due to herpes simplex sore which can cause fluid-filled blisters that commonly occur on the lips. They also can occur on the gums and roof of the mouth (hard palate).

Do not squeeze, pinch, or pick the lump and swish the moth with warm water with salt. If it persists then you should get it checked from a dentist as you may need coating the lesions with a protective barrier ointment containing an antiviral agent or antibacterial agent.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.