Painful red sore on the buttocks, fever. Chances of MRSA?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello I have a painful red round sore on my butt.. i have had it before...i also am experiencing chills and fever that is possibly connected to a recurring bile duct problem.. a nurse at my XXXXXXX building took a look at it today and said it might be MRSA but don't worry about it.. weil I am and ofcourse it is after office hours so don't know what to do
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

MRSA is a bacterial infection which can affect skin, and other organs, but it cannot be definitely confirmed by visual examination alone.

A red round painful sore can be due to any bacterial or fungal infection.

So please do not panic. You should visit your doctor as early as feasible for confirming the diagnosis and starting appropriate treatment. Till then, you may do the following,
1. Maintain proper hygiene and keep the area clean with any antiseptic solution.
2. Apply a topical (local) application of any antibiotic ointment like mupirocin or fusidic acid as per your doctor’s advice.
3 Avoid scratching the area or applying any occlusive bandage over it.
4 If pus comes out of the lesion, clean it and repeat the ointment. You may take a mild analgesic like acetaminophen if prescribed by your doctor.
5. If the number or size of sores increase or there is a worsening of symptoms, visit the emergency room.

Please do not panic as the situation at present doesn't seem worrisome and is a common ailment which is likely to resolve with treatment.

I hope I have answered your query.