Painful, raised, bony lumps on feet, have high arches, redness, not movable, no fluid

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a nurse and on my feet 12 hours a day 3-4 days a week. I have 2 cm raised bony limps on top of both my feet that are quite painful. I have tried all kinds of shoes and padding. I currently wear Danskos I have high arches and I suspect that is why these lumps have formed. There are not fluid fiilled or movable. It feels and palates like a bony lump. I don't wear high heels or impractical shoes. I feel like the limps are getting larger. They are very red and painful when I remove my shoes. It's like a bunion on top of my feet.
YYYY@YYYY . Thanks
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The raised bony lumps on your feet could be due to a benign tumor like neuroma or osteoma, a ganglion cyst, an infective swelling or a bunion.
A physical examination is necessary to detect the exact cause. Sometimes investigations like MRI scan are also recommended in case it is a soft tissue swelling. The high arches of your feet are not likely to cause such swellings.
A good close up picture will be very much appreciated. You may attach a pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-right hand side.
Till the time you get this lump examined from an orthopedician, apply warm compresses on the lumps as this will help in reducing the inflammation.
Surgical removal might be needed in case it is increasing in size.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.