Painful puss filled lump in the arm pit, bleeding on bursting. Should go to emergency?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had a hard lump in my arm pit since april I finally went to a doctor and they told me that it was probably just an infestion underneath the skin since it get bigger then smaller then bigger again. Just now while I was working out a small bump just above the lump burst and a lot of yellow puss came out and the lump instantly got smaller. I squeezed all the puss out now it's blooding and when I squeeze it blood shoots out. Now that I've stopped squeezing it the lump is getting bigger again and it really hurts where the bump was. Should I go to the emergency room?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

The hard lump in your axilla with pus and blood is an abscess which needs to be drained properly under medical supervision. Since the swelling is again increasing in size, local exploration might be required under local anesthesia and adequate antibiotic cover.

Please visit your primary care doctor for proper management at the earliest.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.