Painful protruding area in the crease of inner thigh which is swollen with blood. What is this?

I have a very painful protruding area in the crease of my inner thigh that appears to be swollen with blood. Do you need photos? I'm not sure what this is and it just appeared rapidly yesterday.
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Blood filled painful swelling: pictures needed Detailed Answer: Hi , I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I will be able to help you in the same. Now according to the description that you have provided, there seems to be a sudden development of a blood filled painful lesion. I would like to have a look at the skin lesion first. You should click some close up pictures of the skin lesion and upload them here on this page. You can also email them at YYYY@YYYY with heading as ref to Dr Geetika Paul. Also I would like to know if there is history of any trauma to the site before development of the skin lesion. Was there any itching at that particular site as these is a possibility of a minor trauma by finger nails. Also let me know the time since when you have this swelling. I am sure I would be able to help you more once you follow up with the pictures. Waiting for your response. Dr Geetika Paul
Follow-up: Painful protruding area in the crease of inner thigh which is swollen with blood. What is this? 1 hour later
I have attached a picture and that's as close as I can get without showing only the blood filled area without leaving out the elongated swollen line. This area has had no trauma or itching and there is no open area. It is all enclosed under the skin. It is on the left side of my body, in between my thigh and my feminine area, in the crease between this area. There is no open wound, just swollen and painful. It is approximately 4" long on the swollen area and only an inch or so for the blood filled area of it. But the entire length of the swollen area is painful. It has ruptured since my last email and very unpleasant. The swelling went down after much blood and puss and had a very bad smell to it. It is less sore than it was I guess because of the swelling issue. I am very concerned if it is something normal or not though and scared.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Folliculitis or lymphadenitis Detailed Answer: Hi, Having seen the attached pictures, there are two things that come to my mind. 1. The first possibility is folliculitis which is an infection of the base of the hair follicle. 2. The second thing that I can think of is lymphadenitis which is an infection of the underlying lymph nodes. Now as far as the treatment is concerned, the lesion has ruptured already with release of pus. You can take care of it locally by cleaning the area with an antiseptic solution twice a day and applying a topical antibiotic cream. The swelling should come down gradually in a day or two. If the lesio persists, then I would recommend you start oral antibiotics such as macrolides or penicillin. You can in addition take oral pain killers as well, this will decrease the associated inflammation as well. Do not apply any other creams or oils over the affected area. Hope it helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Dr Geetika Paul.