Painful popping in groin, cannot stand up or put pressure on leg. Any ideas?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Yesterday afternoon I felt a poppong in my left groin when I walked and it was quite painful, throughout the day it kept happening. It also happened when I turned over in bed later. I got up today and it was the same but has got worse through the day, my groin is now hurting and even to stand up straight and put pressure on my leg, it is killing me and will not go away. Any ideas? Thanks, Jackie
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 25 minutes later

Popping sensation in groin followed by pain and limitation of movement are signs of a muscle or ligament strain involving the hip joint. A fracture or dislocation of head of the femur or thigh bone forming the hip joint can also cause such sound. I understand that there has been no direct trauma or fall in your case but the above conditions can occur even in absence of it.

First and foremost you should avoid pressure or movement of the affected limb and get an xray hip joint and upper end of the femur bone. Alternatively you can consult your doctor or an orthopedic surgeon first who can prescribe you some anti inflammatory analgesics like combination of acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain relief and get an xray done to come to the exact diagnosis and start appropriate treatment.

Please do not panic as the chances of fracture are less in an otherwise healthy person of your age without any history of trauma but it is best to be ruled out to prevent long term complications.

Also if the xray rules out a fracture and or dislocation, then the treatment would mainly be supportive including medicines for pain relief and physiotherapy for better mobility.

Hope I have answered your query.
I ll be available for any follow up queries.