Painful pimple like ulcer hanging from upper gum. History of COPD. Are these related?

i have pimple like ulcer on my upper gum hanging down about 1/4 inch ( i have dentures)....its very painful..i also have extreme copd resportory problems..among other things ...can you guide me to seems respitory problems can relate..what other diseases can create this stalagtite
its getting ........................... XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your question.

The pimple like ulcer that you describe, hanging down from your upper gum, is a pedunculated dental cyst. It is harmless, non-cancerous and easily removed under a local anaesthetic. Have it seen to but do not worry about it. It is unrelated to your other medical issues.

Most importantly, pedunculated dental cysts are not in any way related to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (copd). Please relax about this. If you have other health issues that you would like further guidance with, please feel free to post here again.

In the meantime be assured that you are not, as it were, falling apart or going into any sort of decline based on a simple benign dental cyst. I understand though, how frightening copd can sometimes be and I do understand your very valid concerns.

I hope you found this helpful and can accept this answer. Thanks again.
Follow-up: Painful pimple like ulcer hanging from upper gum. History of COPD. Are these related? 2 hours later
which type of docter do i go yo dentist had no idea what it was ...she gave me antibiotics and steered toward a dentat surgeon... are dental implants the ticket ???? how costly are they
thanks XXXXXXX ..
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 9 hours later
Hi again XXXXXXX Thank you for your follow up questions.

That "stalactite" as you call it is, hanging down from your gum is also called a gingival cyst. It is very easily removed. No need for injections or anything like that. All you would need is to have some topical anaesthetic gel applied to the base of the pedicle on your gum. Then the pedicle is snipped, the cyst removed and the bit of bleeding controlled by pressure. Five minutes would do it.

This gingival cyst was probably brought on by your wearing ill-fitting dentures. You asked about dental implants. Yes they are indeed the "ticket. But they are extremely expensive. You can do your own research on this but you are looking at tens of thousands of dollars for a full set.

I would not rush at this particularly given you other health issues. Have that cyst removed and get yourself a new set of properly fitting dentures and see how you go from there. The best of good health to you.