Painful ovulation with mild spotting, swelling on one side of body, breast swelling. Pregnancy ruled out. Hormonal surge?

Excellent
Question
I sometimes have painful ovulation over the years. All my tests and exams show everything is normal. I'm 48 still having regular periods. This month ovulation has caused some spotting and mild swelling on left side and even affecting left leg which has swollen a little bit. At the same time both breasts have swollen also. I am definitely not pregnant. Is this just a hormonal surge or fluctuation?
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
The mild pain during the ovulation can be associated with mild spotting and the heaviness in the breast. This is a normal symptom due to the hormonal changes in the body during ovulation.
If the symptoms are affecting your daily routine then it is best to get a regular birth control prescribed from your gynecologist which will prevent ovulation and thus the symptoms associated with it. You can also take a mild pain killer like ibuprofen for a symptomatic relief.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Painful ovulation with mild spotting, swelling on one side of body, breast swelling. Pregnancy ruled out. Hormonal surge? 2 hours later
Dear Dr. Tayal,
A couple other questions concerning my symptoms this cycle:
Is the slight swelling or thick feeling in my left leg unusual? It is also the same side I am ovulating on. And do you think these uncomfortable feelings will subside when ovulation is over?
And to let you know some other background: I'm 5'10, 135 lbs and no other health problems.
Thank you so much!
Warmly, XXXXXXX XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The slight swelling or the thick feeling in the leg may be related to the ovulation or a muscle sprain due to overuse.
All these symptoms are likely to subside in next 1-2 days without any treatment. In case the symptoms are persistent then do consult your gynecologist for a physical evaluation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Painful ovulation with mild spotting, swelling on one side of body, breast swelling. Pregnancy ruled out. Hormonal surge? 22 minutes later
Thank you so much, dear Doctor.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Hello.
You are welcome.
Please keep me informed regarding the progress.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.

Warm regards