Painful neck, shoulder with pinched nerve, double vision. Eye test, brain MRI done. History of Fibromyalgia. Treatment?

Hello :) Im a 37 year old female. Last Friday I went to the Dr. for my painful neck and shoulders with a pinched nerve(which has happened 3 times to me in the last year). Went to the Dr., she did nothing for me but said do physical therapy. On Saturday, I woke up with double vision that lasted about 20 min. I went to a different doctor. She sent me for full eye exam and Brain MRI. Both are completely normal. For 4 days now, I have woke with this double vision that lasts about 20 minutes and then a dizzy/drunk feeling in my head the rest of the day. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia years ago but doctor said it is unlikely these are symptoms. Could all this related to my pinched nerve/sore neck? Help, ??
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 15 hours later

I see that your brain MRI and full eye examination are normal which are of positive value for us.

The symptoms you are facing are of recent onset of not more than a week. In addition, there is a positive history of painful neck and shoulders with a pinched nerve. I do not think this can cause double vision. However, it can be an exacerbating feature of your migraine or even fibromyalgia.

Please check if there are any herniated discs in your cervical spine as well as they are in the back region. This could be a possibility.

I hope the doctor whom you consulted has recorded your blood pressure and it is normal.

There are no other major causes of double vision that I can think of, as long as the investigations are normal.

Please wait and watch for a week, if it is still persistent then you may require a repeat imaging of the brain with good slices and sections and an MRI of your cervical spine as I said previously.

Meanwhile take plenty of fluids orally. Stay relaxed and take adequate rest. You should be fine soon.

I would like to know if you are experiencing any other significant symptom apart from this like intractable headache, forceful vomiting. In addition, is there a history of recent trauma to your head?

Please write in detail, so that I can help you better.

Awaiting your response.