Painful lump under the jaw near the gland. What is it?

Question
Hi. I have a painful lump under my jaw right near my gland. It's movable and hurts at times when I turn my head. Just noticed it Sunday when I felt some discomfort. Totally freaking out.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
The painful lump under your jaw would most likely be an enlarged lymph node or a soft tissue mass ( the nature of which needs to be determined). Enlarged lymph nodes are likely to occur in response to some kind of infection. However, in order to pin down the cause of an enlarged lymph node, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. Do you have any fever, sore throat, running nose or some ear discharge?
b. What is the size of the lump?
c. Is the skin over the lump red and angry looking?
d. Do you have any other co-existing illness or did you have anything in the past, which you feel could be significant?
e. Do you smoke?
f. Do you have any loss of appetite or weight loss?

If this is due to an infection, we need to put you on a course of antibiotics. Steam inhalation and warm saline gargles would help as well. Till we narrow down the cause, I suggest you take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required. you can take upto 4 tablets daily.

Awaiting your reply.
Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Painful lump under the jaw near the gland. What is it? 3 hours later
Thank you for responding. I've answered your questions below. The lump feels like it's behind my throat gland. To feel it, I need to push it to the jaw line. It hurts when I press on it. Should I see an ENT? Or a dentist? Very worried.

a. Do you have any fever, sore throat, running nose or some ear discharge? No.

b. What is the size of the lump? Small almond. Somewhere between a nickel and quarter. Tough to tell.

c. Is the skin over the lump red and angry looking? No.

d. Do you have any other co-existing illness or did you have anything in the past, which you feel could be significant? Not really. I had a fibroid removed from my breast over 20 years ago. I had dental implant surgery in December.

e. Do you smoke? Not anymore. I quit over 8 years ago.

f. Do you have any loss of appetite or weight loss? No.

Thanks for writing back.
In all likelihood, it seems to be an enlarged lymph node. Lymph nodes frequently enlarge in response to infections and are usually painful in this condition. Its basically a protective response of your body to fight the infection.
You would need an examination of the ear, nose and throat region to rule out an infection. I think a visit to an ENT specialist would be a good start. This would help us rule out something that can be picked only an exam.
Its not something you need to worry about. In all probability, its a minor infection which will pass away on its own.
Meanwhile, steam inhalation; warm saline gargles and some Motrin as prescribed above would help.
Hope this helps. I will be available for follow ups.