Painful lump to right side of mons pubis. What could this be?

Question
I just felt a huge painful lump to right side of mons pubis not quite at groin;Feels like it measures approximately 7cm x 5 or 6 cm. If I pull XXXXXXX taunt, can see the lump; what could this be?
Posted Sun, 10 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Such a painful bump can be a boil or an abscess. It generally starts as a reddened, tender area due to infection by Staph aureus bacteria. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus.

For such a bump, apply warm compresses and keep the area clean with topical antiseptics. Drainage is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Till then you can apply a topical antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban after consulting your doctor. You can also take some over the counter pain reliever like Ibuprofen and oral antibiotics after a doctor’s prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Painful lump to right side of mons pubis. What could this be? 37 minutes later
No redness seen at all; no head or bump seen; rather mass is palpable and tender

Thanks for writing back with the explanation.

The other possibilities for such a tender palpable mass are of a cyst or a swollen lymph node. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection.

Apply warm compresses and take some boils, cysts and swollen lymph nodes respond to these medicines.

If the lump persists even after taking these medicines, then the best test for confirmation of this lump is a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) of the lump which should be got done after consulting a physician. FNAB is aspiration of the material of the glands which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. Then the material is looked under the microscope to confirm the diagnosis.