Painful lump on lower left rib cage, abdominal pain after eating. What could it be?

I have a small lump on my lower left rib cage but I have pain under my lower left rib cage kinda inside my abominal area the inside hurts to the touch and after I eat!! What could it be?? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

The symptoms that you are having can be due to hiatal hernia. In this there is a weakness in the diaphragm which causes part of the stomach to pass through the diaphragm into the chest. This can occur in weak abdominal muscles and occurs during bending, straining,coughing, extreme physical exertion, after eating food or wearing tight clothing that can cause the stomach and esophagus to push into the chest.

To confirm the diagnosis you need to get an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and high resolution manometry. It should go away with the right treatment which is by medicines or surgical approach (Nissan fundoplication) and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. You should also avoid wearing tight pants.
2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.
3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.
4)     Also you can take some antacid like Mylanta but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.