Ask a Dentist   »  

Painful lump in palate

my wife has developed a painful lump on her palate
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

I shall be in a better position to guide you if you can let me know:
1. The duration of the lump.
2. Size of the lump.
3. Colour of the lump.
4. Exact location of the lump.
If the lump is of recent origin (say past 24 hours) and is small and near the base of a tooth then it may require a dental check-up to rule out abscess formation.

At times injury to the palate from a sharp food item can cause a lump which should resolve over the next day or two. You can give your wife some pain killer/analgesics and observe. In case it persists over the next day or two then a check-up by the doctor shall be better.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your wife an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Painful lump in palate 10 hours later
the lump is about 3days old . it is in the center of her upper palate,and is app.1inch long and oval.itis flesh tone in color .
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 3 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

The description provided by you suggests that it has probably occurred following injury to the palate while eating. It must have increased in the first day or two and should be subsiding now. It shall be better to wait and watch for the next 24 hours and see how it behaves.

Wishing your wife all the best.