Painful lump appeared on top of head and have tender spot on arm. Easy way to get cure?

Oncologist, Surgical
Hi, a painful lump appeared for no reason on top of my head--it is painful to the touch. My husband said there was no redness or sign of anything other than you can feel the lump--any possible explanation for this? In addition, one day prior to lump on my head being noticeable, I have a very tender spot on my arm...the best way I can describe it is how my arm sometimes feels after a shot. It is very tender and I have no recollection of bumping into something that would cause that type of pain. Thank you for your time.
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 38 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

Thank you for asking your query at XXXXXXX and sorry to hear about your problem. Going by your description of the lump, it does not appear to be anything serious. The most common cause of such a swelling on the scalp is a sebaceous cyst, which is nothing but a clogged up hair follicle. It can cause pain sometimes and if you press it hard, there might be some whitish discharge from it but it does not change into cancer. Sometimes it can get infected and cause pain along with fever as well. Folliculitis is another cause of such a lump but it is usually associated with redness.

Just to be on the safer side, you can either attach a picture of the lump for a better opinion or visit a nearby doctor, who can have as look at the lump.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask any other question.
Follow-up: Painful lump appeared on top of head and have tender spot on arm. Easy way to get cure? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I'm thinking the clogged up hair follicle makes sense since I did just have my hair colored and cut and perhaps that is when it happened during the coloring process. I will continue to monitor and go see my doctor if it doesn't get better. I'm still curious about the painful area on my arm. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 33 minutes later
Dear Ma'am,

There is no connection between the lump on your head and the pain in your arm. As you have already mentioned that you did not bump your arm, it is very difficult to comment on the exact cause of your pain without examining it. You can try an advil for a couple of days and if it still persists, you can visit a doctor.

Hope you get well soon.