Painful lump appeared on forehead, have tender head and neck. What could be causing this?

Neurologist, Surgical
About 15 hours ago I work up and the back of my neck and head felt tender to the touch. A few hours later I noticed a lump on my forehead the size of a half dollar. At the time the lump on my forehead didn't hurt. But now 15 hours later the lump on my forehead has doubled in size and is very tender to the touch. While the back of my head and neck are both still very tender. I can't even seem to lay my head on a pillow.
Posted Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 4 hours later
Your complaints could be due to an infected sebaceous cyst on your scalp. We would need a fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) to confirm the diagnosis. Along with a course of antibiotics., you can take an analgesic like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet 2-3 times daily with food. The pain in the back of the head and neck could be due to a muscle sprain. You can apply diclofenac gel on this area and give it rest. The pain should be ok.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: Painful lump appeared on forehead, have tender head and neck. What could be causing this? 9 hours later
The swelling has now traveled lower in my face. The bridge of my nose is rather swollen and very tender. My left temple now has a bulge over it. Should I head to the emergancy room or wait til tomorrow when my doctor is available?
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 33 hours later

I apologize for the delayed response.

I think you may have erysipelas - a severe infection. I would recommend that you seek medical attention immediately.

Warm Regards