Painful lump appeared at the site of injection. Should I be concerned?

My 11 year old son received 3 shots on Tuesday ( Menactra, Hep A, Tdap). 2 in his left arm which feels fine now. He got tdap in his right arm. His right arm has a lump and is very painful . He says the muscle hurts by the injection site and in his armpit. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Pain at the site of injection and lump at the site of injection are known side effects of Tdap vaccine. The lump may take few weeks to disappear. So I reassure you to not to worry regarding the same.

We normally prescribe Paracetamol for relief of pain in such scenario. Application of ice at vaccination site may help in such scenario.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics

PS: If you liked my answer and wish to communicate with me in future, you can ask me on this link: