Painful lump and swelling appeared on ankle. Noticed blood draining from injury. Could it be a fracture?

I fell going up a set of concrete stairs a week ago and knew instantly that I hurt my XXXXXX and figured I would get a pretty nasty bruise. I immediately had a huge lump with enormous pain. Over the last week I still have some slight swelling however now on my ankle I have a rather large bruise that looks very nasty. This morning I woke up to the bruise not just being on one side of my ankle but now it's on the other side as well. I figure it's just the blood draining from the injury. Should I have this looked at or will just heal on it;s own. The injury spot is tender and I can feel it when I walk only a tiny bit. My ankle is not tender which is why I figured it was just blood draining and no real concern. Otherwise, this is the kind of bruising I usually only see with fractures. Just wanted to be sure it was ok to ignore it.
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query

The bruise when appears usually fades away and disappears after 2-3 weeks. If you are developing new bruises after that much time then there is surely some blood leaking into that area which is also appreciated with the use of prednisone as steroids increase bleeding tendencies. If the bruising area is large enough then immediate medical attention should be sought as you may require to stop prednisone and if necessary transamine can be prescribed by your doctor.

If you have some queries. feel free to ask. It will be my pleasure to help you.