Painful lower back, disc in MRI , had breast cancer, breast and lymph nodes removed, chemo and radiotherapy, gall bladder removed, fractured neck & ribs in accident

Neurologist
Question
Hi,I am 72y/o female 4ft 11inches and 150lbs.
8 yrs ago I had breast cancer. Breast and lymph glands removed.
I could only take a small dose of chemo as it was damaging me but, I got the full dose of radiotherepy. Shortly after I had my gall bladder removed as they discovered stones.
28yrs ago I was in a car crash fractured my neck in several places
brocken ribs and the usual cuts and bruises.
6months ago I had a couple of small groaths removed from under left ribs but, nothing to worry about. They will repeat the proceedure in 3 years.
The last 3 months i have an extremely painful lower back. MRI showed a disc!
Now I feel as though I am plugged into an electrical socket! I can't touch my arms or legs without getting a shock, this is all day every day for 6 weeks. When i try to sleep at night there is a shock(painful) going up my back and into my head, I wake up screaming!
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query

Regarding the presence of back pain and electric shock like sensations in the arms and legs indicates problem in the posterior column of the spinal cord. It can occur in variety of conditions like multiple sclerosis, transverse myelitis, trauma, radiation myelopathy, subacute combined degeneration), and compression of the spinal cord. This may also appear during or following high dose chemotherapy and in the early post radiation periods. Rarely can occur after discontinuing antidepressants like fluoxetine.

I personally feel in you it may be due to Vit B12 deficiency or compression of the spinal cord due to spondylosis. I advise you to check your B12 levels if low to start replecement therapy. If there is evidence for spincal cord compression opinion from a Neurosurgeron is beneficial. Drugs like Gabapentin, Pregabalin and Tryptomer can be used after consulting your GP to reduce the shock like sensations.

I thank you again for the query and hope my response has served to be helpful and informative. If there are any additional concerns please let me know.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R

Follow-up: Painful lower back, disc in MRI , had breast cancer, breast and lymph nodes removed, chemo and radiotherapy, gall bladder removed, fractured neck & ribs in accident 2 hours later
I also have a back itch for 3mths and it is driving me crazy! I can't sleep and i try not to scratch. The dermatologest has given me many oitments and creams but nothing works. He called it lichtus something.
What else can be done? Can you help? XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 10 hours later
Thanks for getting back to me.

Regarding the skin problems, best person is your Dermatologist. I will be happy to address any Neurology related problems. I am sorry about this.

I thank you again for the query. If there are any additional concerns please let me know.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R