Painful ingrown thumb nail. Tried hot fomentation and Neosporin. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. Two days ago I got a cut on my thumb, and by yesterday it looked like this (see picture). I've had this before on my toe when it was an ingrown nail. Since this started off as a cut, I doubt it's ingrown. Is it possible to have an ingrown thumbnail? Could it be just a regular infection, and if so is there anything I can do at home? It is quite painful to the touch. I've already tried Neosporin and soaking with warm water and peroxide.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
I have seen the picture attached with this query. It looks like an ingrown thumb nail.
A two day old cut is not likely to produce such a granulation tissue.
It needs systemic antibiotics and even surgical debridement for treatment.
You need to consult your physician for necessary treatment.
In addition to hot fomentation and neosporin ointment, you might take Ibuprofen tablets 400 mg , every 8 hours( if you are not allergic to ). This will help to reduce the pain and inflammation in the affected area.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.