Painful inflammation at pubic hair growth point. Took septran. Suggest the dosage?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I have a painful inflammation at a pubic hair griwth point. It appeared after I shabed that area once. Now that hair is mot growing and there is a painful eruption around it.

I have had a similar experience with a hair on my chin a few years ago. I took septran as a medication. I happen to a strip of septran in my drawer right now. Can you advise on the dosage?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dosage of Septran

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic,
What you are having is a boil. It is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle, most likely introduced by shaving.
Warm compresses will help decrease the pain and helps in drainage of pus. Septran will help. If you are an adult (You have not mentioned your age) and if not allergic to sulfa drugs you can take Septran DS tablet (160 mg trimethoprim and 800 mg sulfamethoxazole) twice a day after food for 5 days. Antibiotic ointments like neosporin thrice a day also will help.
Hope this helped,
If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Painful inflammation at pubic hair growth point. Took septran. Suggest the dosage? 47 minutes later
I have septran of regular strength (half of what you have prescribed). I hope its okay to take 2 tablets twice a day of that? Also I am using T-Bact ointment (mupirocin 5mg). I hope its okay to use it?

And yes I am an adult, 22 yrs of age weighing 85 kgs with no history of allergies to sulpha drugs.

Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Septran single strength 2 tablets twice day

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
Yes you may take two tablets of Septran single strength twice a day. T-Bact is an excellent ointment for boil. Apply it thrice a day. For a single boil like the one you have even T-Bact alone will suffice. You need not take Septran at all.
Hope this helped

Follow-up: Painful inflammation at pubic hair growth point. Took septran. Suggest the dosage? 4 minutes later
Just that it has been growing rapidly over the past 3-4 days and the pain is beginning to increase, I don't want to be taking risks. So I'd rather take Septran too because it is at a pretty sensitive area, and much bigger than it appears in the image.

I hope its okay to continue this medication.

Brief Answer:
Yes it is OK to take

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
You may take the tablets in view of rapid increase in size and pain.