Painful hard lump below tonsil. History of sore throat and tonsil stone. Peritonsillar abscess or cancer?

Excellent

Question
I suddenly noticed a pea shaped, painful hard lump below my left tonsil. it is painful when touched or pressed against. I have a history of repeated sore throats and have keratosis tonsils and have tonsil stones. but this the first time i have noticed something like this. when i pushed against it there is pain and it induces gag reflex. should i just gargle with povidone iodine oral solution and wait for it to go? is it a peritonsillar abscess? is drainage necessary. or could it be cancer? I have history of tobacco use. I am a smoker
the corresponding side of the tongue is sore as well...
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later

Welcome at XXXXXXX

In view of details provided by you, it is very likely to be enlarged lymph nodes.Enlarged lymph nodes are common in this region and do present after oral infections.This can be painful when pressed and are more common with repeat infections.

This doesn't seem like cancer primarily.Cancer would present few more symptoms like blood in saliva, oral lump or ulcer kind of erosion etc.

Sore tongue can be due to focal ulcer or can be part of infection.

Ideal step would be to get this confirmed by a ENT specialist.Doctor is very likely to put you on broad spectrum antibiotics.Doctor's visit will also help reduce your anxiety about cancer.

Gargle can prove help , but in addition antibiotics would be needed.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.

Follow-up: Painful hard lump below tonsil. History of sore throat and tonsil stone. Peritonsillar abscess or cancer? 2 minutes later
doctor thank you! should i gargle with betadine oral solution or salt water. should i dilute the betadine solution? if its an enlarged lymph node... based on ur experience how soon does it go away upon treatment. how does smoking affect this? also i am an actor so i have to use my voice a lot. pls advise

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 13 minutes later

Personally I advice patients to go with warm salt water gargle. Betadine gargle though good might cause oral irritation and make you prone for sensitive tongue and sometimes ulcers.

The enlarge lymph nodes can persist upto few weeks after infection is cleared.You should expect symptoms to resolve within 15 days after infection has cleared off.

Smoking doesn't directly affect this.Smoking can makes you prone for infection, which in turn can cause enlarged nodes.Similarly it can re-dispose cancer.

Follow-up: Painful hard lump below tonsil. History of sore throat and tonsil stone. Peritonsillar abscess or cancer? 1 minute later
Thank you doctor! Any food items i should avoid? Any dietary changes? I am prone to hypertension due to which I have alprazolam .5 from time to time

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 minutes later
Avoid junk food, spicy and oily food.Avoid salted products.Rest everything should be fine.

Regards.