Painful gout on foot. Is it a consequence of eating foods with high purine level?

I am a mid 50's man. I have a "gout" on my left foot recently. It really hurts.
This is my first experience of gout.
What I eat now is nothing different than those of years ago.
Then why it happens only now?
Is it a consequence of continuous eating of specific foods that contain high "purine" level?
Some one said that the pill that I have been taking daily over the last 10 years, finesteride 1mg, must have caused this problem.
Is that right? Does it contain purines that can convert to uric acid to cause gout?

I look forward to your answer soon.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 43 minutes later

First of all, thank you for the new year wishes, and wish you the same.

Finasteride which you may be taking for hair loss or prostate enlargement does not cause gout as a side effect. It does not contain purines to convert into uric acid.

As we age, our kidneys' ability to throw out uric acid reduces and it accumalates in the blood and gets deposited in joints, due to which chances of getting gout increases. So, if you are consuming purine XXXXXXX diet since many years, now you are facing this problem.

You can avoid drugs diuretics, aspirin, nicotinic acid, and do reduce your intake of fish, marine products, red meat, Mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower.

Chronic alcohol intake also increases production of uric acid.

Hope my answer has helped you. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.