Painful erection, tenderness in testicles. Possible prostrate infection. On antibiotics. Suggestion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I experienced pain while having an erection. My family doctor indicated my prostrate was fine and treated me for a possible prostrate infection. I've been on antibiotics for 18 days and the condition has not improved much. Plus I have noticed tenderness around my left testicle, that in the last 2 hours has flaired up. What do you think is likely wrong and what treatment would you recommend?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

A pain during erection and tender left testicle needs medical attention and a detailed evaluation by a Urologist. Some of the causes which can be responsible for these symptoms are:

1) Infections of the prostate, bladder, or seminal vesicles and interstitial cystitis (chronic disease of the urinary bladder associated with pain, pain associated with urination and pain during erection).
2) Gonorrheal infections.
3) Urethritis or prostatitis.
4) Any disease of the penis which causes tight foreskin which is difficult to retract like for example Peyronie’s disease.

You need a comprehensive profile of investigations including semen examination, culture, urine culture and examination, PSA levels, STD panel for gonorrhea, swab samples and a cystoscopy if needed to rule out any Urethritis.

First you need to see a doctor, get a swab test to confirm the diagnosis. It is best to start the antibiotics according to the culture report as you are unable to get any relief after taking Ciprofloxacin.

You will have to take a course of broad spectrum antibiotics effective against resistant organisms.
Refrain from sex until your infection is resolved. You need to observe good hygiene.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Painful erection, tenderness in testicles. Possible prostrate infection. On antibiotics. Suggestion? 6 hours later
Thank you Dr. Tayal. I have one follow up question. In your opinion which antibiotic(s) have you found most effective in treating reproductive infections like prostatitis?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

In such infections third generation floroquinolones are effective and show less resistance.

Aminoglycosides are another class of drugs effective singly or in combination with a third generation cephalosporin group of antibiotics.

A culture sensitivity report will be the best guide for the antibiotic best suitable for you. A clinical assessment is also necessary for appropriate treatment.

I apologize for not being able to disclose the drug names. As this is an online forum and the information provided is only for reference purposes and is not an alternative for the instructions of your doctor and it would be illegal to give you the names of prescription only medicines through an online forum.