Painful, burning sensation in toes, itchy, swollen. Cannot fully bend toes. No flaky skin or red bumps.

Psychiatrist
Question
the 2 toes next to my big toe (right foot) have a painful burning sensation, extremely itchy and slight swelling. No flaky skin or red bumps - pad on underneath of foot is slightly swollen also and . cannot fully bend the 2 toes and unable to bend big toe at all
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     33 year old female
•     Known case of IBS
•     Complaints of: Painful burning sensation, extreme itching, swollen foot pad and
slight swelling on 2 toes (2nd and 3rd) of right foot

All your symptoms indicate towards the presence of infection. Sometime infective organism travel through minor cut in foot and form pus there but because of presence of thick skin there it did not burst outside and keep on growing inside. In later cases it can involve bone and become difficult to treat.

Because of inflammation it gives rise to pain, burning and swelling. If infection is severe then it causes fever too. Redness appear late in foot infection because of thick skin.

Following measures will help:
•     Hot fomentation: to reduce inflammation and pain
•     Analgesic like PARACETAMOL for pain relief
•     Rest to decrease spread of infection and pain relief
•     Physician consultation for local examination, investigation (like X XXXXXXX to know extent of infection and bone involvement) and antibiotic treatment

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.