Painful bumps on the penis, unprotected intercourse. Is it herpes?

Question
I have two bumps above my penis in the area where I shave. I had unprotected sex a little over 3 months ago and one bump has been there for about 2 months and the other just a little under 2 months. The one that has been there for 2 months did have a painful puss filled out break the first time it popped and has come back which leads me to believe it is herpes, the second never has had anything like that but has just stayed there. However, I did not figure this out until this week and in this 2 month time period I had protected sex, had oral sex 3 times and also a handjob and none of my partners have gotten bumps or anything. I also have touched the infected area popping it and it has not spread anywhere so it doesn't seem to be contagious. Is this herpes or something else?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

I have seen the screen shot. It seems more likely to be due to sebaceous cyst or folliculitis. The possibilities are as follows

1. Folliculitis - due to an infected hair follicle. Usually has pus inside and needs an antibiotic and anti inflammatory drug for treatment.
2. Sebaceous cyst- due to a blocked sebaceous gland. The secretions start collecting inside and becomes painful. Needs to be surgically removed if infected.
3. Genital warts- due to a viral infection.
4. Herpes looks less likely.

Some of the simple tests carried out by your dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis. A thorough examination is a must for proper diagnosis and treatment.

In the meantime, I recommend you to use general cleanliness measures to avoid any infection in that area. Avoid scratching or handling the region with barefingers.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Regards.

Follow-up: Painful bumps on the penis, unprotected intercourse. Is it herpes? 20 hours later
Thanks for your review. Can you please transfer my question though for a third and final opinion?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

I have taken a re look at the screen shot you sent. In fact I had taken a curbside consult from a Dermatologist in my group.

He agrees with my advice too and given same treatment options. So do not worry.

If your worry is only about Herpes, the features of Herpes would be slight different. There is pain, redness with lot of itching. It generally presents with group of lesions, multiple in number. It is associated with fever, body pain as constitutional symptoms unlike yours which is just local.

I cannot transfer this query to a Dermatologist in the middle of our discussion. If you wish you can opt for 'Ask A Specialist' package where a Specialist Dermatologist will answer.

I believe in my advice and is equally valid.

Write back if you have further queries. Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Painful bumps on the penis, unprotected intercourse. Is it herpes? 11 hours later
OK thank you. The weird thing is that during my first so called "outbreak" where i believed this to be just a pimple i never had a any other symptoms. Yet when this thing came coming back and i realized this could very much be herpes the next day i came down with a fever, swollen lymph nodes, nausea, body aches, and fatigue. Was this just coincidence then, or perhaps more evidence towards the herpes?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for the follow up.

Fever , swollen glands, body aches, etc might be due to a simple viral infection.

Try to maintain your hydration level, high dose of Vitamin C and acetaminophen for symptomatic relief.

If symptoms do not subside then other blood investigations might be needed to determine the cause.

To be very sure that you do not have herpes you can get yourself tested for the same.

Regards.