Painful bump under the skin on the thigh. No discoloration. What is it?

I have a bump under my skin on the fold where my upper tight meets my crutch , about two inches down from my waist. It appeared about 7 to 10 days ago and I popped it and it looked like acne but now it is back and it is about an inch in length. I could squeeze it and pop it but it would be quite painful as there are no whiteheads. It has no discoloration except redness after I squeeze it. What do you think it is?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 16 minutes later

Thanks for your query and good resolution pics.

I feel the possibility of pyoderma (bacterial infection). And it is recurrent. The second pic which shows the lesion in a linear fashion (about an inch long) suggests that it is now in the resolving phase.

Normally, these lesions are circular in shape, but because of its presence in an area which gets folded, it has become linear.

People who are very acne prone do tend to develop these kind of boils.

There is nothing to worry about. Just apply Bactroban ointment after consulting your dermatologist and if possible, do warm fomentation. I guess you will be fine in a week or so.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Follow-up: Painful bump under the skin on the thigh. No discoloration. What is it? 39 minutes later
Thanks for your answer. So this is not something I need to worry about such as a major infection or an STD?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

No, you certainly need not to worry. It is just a trivial thing. So relax.

I hope, it helps. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.