Painful bump on the thumb knuckle after an injury. Have redness and stiffness. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I stabbed my thumb knuckle with a knife about a month ago. Tiny cut that bleed pretty good then seem to heal quickly. Since then a painful bump has appeared on my knuckle in the exact spot I hit with the knife. Pain,stiffness and redness are a constant now. What could I have done?
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The persistent pain, swelling, redness and stiffness is suggestive of a tendon injury followed by an inflammation in the area. A foreign body inside the knuckle also needs to be ruled out after a direct examination and proper investigations.
Since the area is inflamed, oral antibiotics may be needed to control the possible infection.
You need to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, increase in swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If you get any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X XXXXXXX or MRI.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.