Painful bump on buttocks, itches. Appears and clears. Whats this?

I have a really painful bump on my butt that looks like a huge mosquito bite. It first appeared ten years ago. When it first appears it itches and then as a day or so goes by it is painful and then goes away. It has been appearing and then clearing up about twice a year for TEN YEARS now. I am at my wits end...
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
This problem of having recurrent painful lumps on the buttocks is very troublesome but can be easily avoided.
This is called a boil in lay man term but in medical terminology it's Folliculitis when small and Furuncle when a bit large with pus in it. So you are having folliculitis probably. The infection goes in the dermis by the side of hair shaft in your case.
This is commonly seen in overweight people who are diabetic with poor control of sugar levels and those who are not able to keep their skin clean and dry.
I would suggest the following:
a. Use cotton undergarments
b. Use a medicated powder to keep the skin dry and free of sweat
c. Avoid oil massage or ointments over there.
d. After a bath, dry yourself properly taking plenty of time.
Removing these factors should stop the problem from recurring.
Wish you good health.