Ask a Dentist   »  

Painful bump behind molar teeth, sore throat, headache, using mouth rinse with peroxide. What could this be?

I have a painful bump behind my last right molar. It has been there for about 3 days now and causing me a soar throat. Its hard to chew and its keeping me up at night. Sometimes causing a headache. I keep using a mouth rinse from cvs with peroxide in it and it foams around it. What could this be?? Should i see my dentist or doctor? help! thanks in advance!!
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

Swellling of the gums can be caused by (1) gingivitis which is inflammation of the gum, it may also cause red, swollen tender gums.Other symptoms would be bleeding on brushing your teeth and bad taste or smell in the mouth.Treatment depends on the stage of disease
(2) dental abscess : an abscess is a collection of pus, a dental abscess can cause pain, swelling, pain or difficulty opening your mouth or swallowing, tender when touched.It is usually treated with anti-inflammatory pain medication such as ibuprofen in addition to seeing your dentist because antibiotics are required.
If it opens before you are able to see a dentist, rinse your mouth with warm water, this will clean the mouth and encourage the abscess to drain.
(3) side effect of medication such as dilantin or phenobarbital
(4) pregnancy
(5) as a result of sensitivity to mouthwash or a toothpaste- this is not likely to be localised to one are of the gums

The most likely causes of your symptoms are dental abscess or gingivitis. It would be best to visit your dentist for a check up.
I hope this information is helpful, feel free to ask any other questions