Painful bump appeared on hand. Diagnosed with hairfolic infection. How to overcome this?

I've a small bump on my left hand which pains me a lot. when consulted with a doctor near my house, she said its hairfolic infection. i couldn't understand what it is. she said before it aggrevates and touches my bone, it has to be cut n removed, Please advise me on this sir.
She took an x-ray and confirmed that the infection has not reached the bone.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 11 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

There are skin sebaceous glands around each hair root, these secrete sticky fluid to keep skin moist and smooth.When duct of such gland gets blocked and there is infection in it, this called folliculitis. This has happened in your case.

Most minor cases wont need aggressive treatment except antibiotic cover.But if it grows in size or lies close to important structures then drainage of these abscess is suggested, this is particularly to prevent spread of infection.

I would agree with your doctor and suggest to go ahead with her recommendation.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.