Painful breath, pain in upper chest, shoulder, CT scan, pulmonary embolism ruled out. Advise.

i woke up on saturday from a nap and when i took a large breath intake, i felt pain. it has continued since then. my doctor sent me to have a ct scan to rule out pulminary embolism and this morning i was scoped. both tests showed nothing. The pain is in my upper chest near my neck. Much pressure when i breath in or sneeze. in the morning only sore when i breath in but by mid afternoon, my whole chest aches . I feel achy in my shoulder area and chest without even breathing in by end day. I am not a smoker. i exercise every day (cardio sculpt) . Can you advise?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

The pain in the chest after just one XXXXXXX breath might be due to a lung infection where a XXXXXXX breath has caused a ruptured bulla due to excessive air pressure.

Another reason might be that there is some injury in your ribcage which is causing you so much of pain.

For getting a relief-
1. you can inhale steam so that the lung tissue opens up and infection subsides.
2. Take a good OTC pain killer and muscle relaxant. Avoid doing any heavy work like exercise or weight lifting, etc.
3. You can use a chest belt to support your ribs and chest muscles.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.