Painful bowel movement following delivery. Is this discomfort normal after child birth?

Uncomfortable pain.After vaginally delivering my son 4 months ago, it stings whenever I have a bowel movement & continues to sting for quite sometime after. There is no blood, or hemmerhoids that I can see or feel from the outside. Is this discomfort normal after childbirth? Will it go away?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later

Unlikely the pain is related to your delivery especially if you do not have any vaginal discharge or dysmenorrhea. Foul smelling bowel movements are usually nothing to worry. If you have mucus in stools, or have pain before defecation or have semi solid stools worthwhile getting a stool examination done.

Look for the medications you are taking, try stopping them for few days if they are not very essential and see if pain and sting goes away. This discomfort in abdomen is not normal after delivery. You need to find out the cause. Sometimes if you are having constipation (common during pregnancy) then you may have perianal pain related to it.

Can try fiber supplements available over the counter and see if you feel better if not then need to see a gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query.
Wish you a speedy recovery.