Painful bowel movement, blood in stools, acidity, reflux

When I pass a stool it is always accompanied by a razorlike feeling when passing the stool I am fairly sure it is piles. However, this evening after passing the stool, there was a gust of wind it felt like I was passing another stool but instead I passed quite a bit of bright blood, perhaps a eggcup of two. This has never happened before I am fairly sure this occurred after I passed the stool. I also have bad acid and sometimes in the past two weeks I am awoken by a reflux of acid whilst sleeping into my mouth.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for your query,

The symptoms you are typical of Piles, consult a surgeon and get a proctoscopy done and confirm the fact.Meanwhile take laxatives like Liquid paraffin which will reduce the friction and gas, preventing recurrence of such bleeding episodes.

For the acid reflex i would ask you to take Tab Prilosec 20 mg once in a day early in the morning before food for 1 week ,this will avoid GI disturbances and gas hence will help piles.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Painful bowel movement, blood in stools, acidity, reflux 7 hours later
I am 7 months pregnant and have hernia lumps in lower abdomen, however this was not confirmed as I fell pregnant before I had the ct and colonoscopy, I do not have gas apart from last nights symptoms. I have had spots of blood is a bank holiday until tursday in XXXXXXX and if it is typical symptoms of piles I can wait until tuesday for a check.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later
Hi ,

Thanks for following me,

yes, I am sure that possibility of it being piles is more.

But also considering the pregnant state I also want to add another considerable cause of fragile mucosa which is a common presentation in pregnancy which can lead to such GI bleed.

A detailed examination will help you here ,

There is no harm in waiting till tuesday if there is no worsening of the condition.

Wishing you good health,