Painful bottom right rib cage, sore to touch, had liver panel checked. Please advise

I am a 43 year old women who is feeling pain on the bottom right rib cage. It's sore when I touch it too. I know it's not my liver because I just have a full liver panel checked. This has been going on for weeks. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

There are two possibilities to be considered in you based on you description of the problem.

It could be due to Costochondritis inflammation of the ribs and its coastal cartilages which is a common presentation in people taking long term medications or even seen with minor injuries to the affected part.Application of Diclofenac gel over the affected part will provide relief.

The other possibility could be a herpes zoster inflammation.This is seen in individuals with history of herpes simplex.This involves the the nerve supplying the affected part.The nerve is damage as the virus resides in it.Treatment here is with antiviral like acyclovir and pain relieving medications.

Do discuss the above ideas of mine with your treating doctor and be placed on the appropriate treatment.

Wish you good health.