Painful boil below breasts causing difficulty in feeding. Remedy?

My wife has delievered boy baby three months ago. Now that she has developed boil just below the nipple which is so painful for her and unable to breast feed. The whole right side of the breast is painful when she feeds my son or when she leeps on the right side. What is the solution fr it?
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 44 minutes later
thanks for the query.

Your wife is having a breast abscess. Breast abscesses are common in breastfeeding mothers.
Breast abscess present with redness, pains , swelling and a fluactuant mass that may be surmounted by a small pus bump. It is severely painful even when touch or when changing position.

Breast abscess is cause by bacterial infections most often Staphylococcus which enters through small cracks in the nipple and infect the the breast.

Treatment options include ultrasound guided aspiration, and incision and drainage. Aspiration has the risk of recollecting where incision and drainage is associated with a better outcome. In both cases, the individual is put on a powerful antibiotic that covers the germ Staphylococcus and when the pus analysis and antibiotic sensitivity results comes back, the antibiotic is adapted to the results. Pain killers as well are important.

You will need to take her to a doctor for an I/D and for antibiotics and pain killers. She should constantly express the milk in the breast o as to prevent collection of milk that might light engorgement and further worsening of the situation.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be ready to answer.
Wishing your wife good health.