Painful blood filled lump in the groin area. Chances of infection?

I am a 22 year old female and found a painful lump that looked like a giant pimple in the shower and it burst. It was just diagonal from my genital area, between my hip bone and my genitals. When I showed it to my mom she said it was an epidermoid cyst and that my dad gets them on his back. it was full of blood. it has a small opening now and I am worried about getting an infection. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 2 hours later
I went through your history. From your descrption it looked like a furuncle which is also called as one man ,s boil. It is common in thea you have mentioned. It is caused by staph infection. You may have to consult your family physician to get rid of it. You may need a couse of oral or topical antibiotics to cure.
Alternatively keep the area clean and dry
Use only loose fitting clothes
Use dusting powders liberally in the groin
I hope you should be ok
Wishing a speedy recovery