Ask a Dentist   »  

Painful blister in soft palate, antibiotics caused hole after healing. Had bulimia. Can MRSA grow in the mouth? Oral cancer?

Psychiatrist
Question
I had a large, painful blister along the soft pallet of the roof of my mouth on the left side. I had a fever for a few days and went to the doctor. He said they were fever blisters, sent me home with antibiotics for the herpes simplex to get rid of the infection. It slowly deflated into a yellowish scabover a week and the scab slowly peeled off over another week. However, it has left a large hole (about the size of a small grape) where the "blister" was. I have battled on and off with belimia for a few years and know this may be a factor. It obviously was NOT a fever blister but the antibiotic worked deflating the infection. Can MERSA grow in the mouth or is it possiblity oral cancer? I'm freaking myself out a bit not being able to find anything close to my condition in med websites/journals/blogs/websites/posts.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     27 years old female
•     Known case of Bulimia nervosa
•     History of painful oral blister healed with yellow scar
•     Worry related to cause of blister.

Herpes or fever blister is an infection by herpes simplex virus(HSV-1). An outbreak typically causes small blisters or sores on or around the mouth commonly known as cold sores or fever blisters. The sores typically heal within 2–3 weeks, but the herpes virus remains dormant in the facial nerves, following orofacial infection, periodically reactivating (in symptomatic people) to create sores in the same area of the mouth or face at the site of the original infection.

Even if it is MRSA; you should not worry as it is already healed. Your lesion probably appears because of infection or infected cyst in roof of mouth. After healing it is difficult to know causative infective agent.

Cancerous growth in mouth is usually painless. Considering your young age and no other risk factor for oral cancer it is less likely to be oral cancer.

If you are still in worry of cancer there is no harm getting biopsy from corner of lesion and its pathological examination.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Painful blister in soft palate, antibiotics caused hole after healing. Had bulimia. Can MRSA grow in the mouth? Oral cancer? 26 minutes later
so it is normal for a hole this large (small grape) to be left behind the roof of the mouth after a herpes fever blister? this is the part that concerns me...the after effect of what was something that is not there and if it is possible the infection has spread elsewhere (location to be determine later). also read a bit about Necrotizing fasciitis. is this also possible?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 11 minutes later
Hello again,

Herpes infection alone does not cause hole. It may be herpes infection with superimposed bacterial infection or bacterial infection alone.

Necrotizing fasciitis is also a possibility in your case but good thing is that it is healed now.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Painful blister in soft palate, antibiotics caused hole after healing. Had bulimia. Can MRSA grow in the mouth? Oral cancer? 22 minutes later
thank you! just a few other ends
1. should i follow up on the hole with my doctor to ensure it is fully healed
2. with the antibiotic (acyclovir) i took, is it possible that it might still be in my system?
3. is it contagious (the bacteria, i know my husband has the herpes simplex1)
4. will the hole ever fill? is there anything i can do to aid the healing?

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 19 minutes later
Hello again,

1. Yes. You should follow up with the doctor till complete healing occurs.
2. Yes. Herpes may be present in system. It may also remain dormant in nerves for many years.
3. Yes. It is contagious till your antibiotic course is completed. Same is true for your husband.
4. Hole will fill on its own partially. Just keep it clean. Daily gargle with mouth wash.

Wish you good health.