Painful back that's locking up, 27 weeks pregnant. What could be the reason ?

I am 27 weeks pregnant and my back is starting to lock up on me and it is very painful. It started over the weekend this pass Saturday. When I bend or am trying to get up from sitting or laying down it occurs. I have tried taking extra strength tylenol, heating pad, warm bath and shower but its not helping. What is the cause and what should I do?
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
Back pain in the third trimester is common because of increase of hormones, additional weight, poor posture like excessive standing and bending over and little rest and more stress during this period.

Moreover there is separation (diastasis) of the muscles along the front of the abdomen (the rectus abdominis muscles). As the uterus expands - these muscles sometimes separate along the center seam, - back pain can then become worse.

Treatment for back pain includes having the correct posture while sitting and standing, use low heels, keeping a pillow behind the lower back while sitting, sleeping on one side with knees and hips bent and keeping a pillow under the lower back, hot or cold compresses and massage from a massage therapist. These measures play a major role in controlling back pain during pregnancy.

If the symptoms persist despite the aforementioned measures, then you may use anti inflammatory medicines and muscle relaxants after consulting your gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Painful back that's locking up, 27 weeks pregnant. What could be the reason ? 5 hours later
Thank you for responding to my query. I am also going on a trip next week and am wondering if I should go. It is a 5 to 6 hour drive to New Jersey. If I do go what precautions should I take while I am in the car? I went to the beach over the weekend and when I got out that is when my back started bothering me.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
In your case, excessive stress seems to be the cause of back pain.
It is best if you could avoid travelling during this time.
Maintaining proper posture during travel with using a pillow at your back will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Painful back that's locking up, 27 weeks pregnant. What could be the reason ? 3 hours later
Thank you again for following up with my query. Last question since I know I have one left. Is the pains that I am having in my back affecting my baby at all? I spoke to an on call doctor last Sunday and he said as long as she is moving as normal she is fine. I have been feeling her move but its not always consistent since they do say that it won't really be until I am 28 weeks and more. I do have another appointment next Thursday but I just want to make sure that she is okay and that I don't need to go to the doctor any sooner.

Thanks again for all your help!!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later
The back pain you are having is not going to affect your baby at all. Please do not worry.
The fetal movements do vary from time to time. You can watch for these movements after your meals.