Painful area above mastoid area, discomfort when turning head. What could this be?

I have an area about the size of 2 quarters above the mastoid area and about the level of my left ear that is painful. I have some discomfort when turning my head from side to side. and am not feeling well. This came up over night. What could this be? What can I do about this?
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 33 minutes later
Dwelling behind the mastoid region may be due to many reasons.Mastoiditis is the most common cause.There may be a boil,carbuncle,abscess,cyst etc causing similar symptoms.Ear infections are also common.You need to be examined to narrow down the causes.Xray mastoid bone is necessary and an ear examination is also necessary.
You will need antibiotics.I suggest that you have your doctor examine you and get the necessary tests done.