Painful and swollen cyst above the anus. Not cured by antibiotic. Is this a serious problem?

Sep 2012

DearDoctor, I'm having a cyst above the anus on the left side. It is painful and swells on and off(once it is gone,comes back after 1-2 weeks sometimes after a month) and pus comes out of it. I find difficult to sit properly also.I consulted a doctor and took Antibiotics but didn't help. I have this problem since 1 year. Sometimes I'm feeling pain from inside and is difficult to walk. Is this a serious problem? what should I do to get rid of this? Please help.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your symptoms indicate presence of an infected hemorrhoid. Only in this condition, you can have these problems.

Now, you should be clinically examined first by proctoscope. Only a meticulous clinical examination can confirm the situation.

You have to take high fiber diet, containing plenty of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. A laxative agent should be taken regularly. These all can prevent constipation which aggravates the situation.

Definitive treatment is surgical interventions. Only that can give you permanent cure.

So, consult with a general surgeon first for a detailed clinical examination and also for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more query.

Follow-up: Painful and swollen cyst above the anus. Not cured by antibiotic. Is this a serious problem? 12 hours later
Thank you for the answer. I don't face constipation but Diarrhea is very frequent. In that case what kind of food should I prefer?
Also the cyst is very smalland single and it comes always at the same place.

Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, the main aim of treatment is to prevent constipation. If you have normal bowel movement, I think you dont need to take those high fiber diet I previously told. But, be cautious. If any possibility of constipation is present you have to take laxative agent immediately.

In case of diarrhea, you just take light diet. Antidiarrheal drug if required should be taken with caution because of the chance of developing constipation.

For definitive treatment, you should consult with a general surgeon. Surgery is the main treatment modality. The surgery you need is very minor. You do not have to fear.

So, consult with a general surgeon for detailed clinical examination and for further management.