Painful and noisy burps in stomach and abdomen, passing winds, lot of noise. What to do ?

from morning to night I keep having very painful and noisy burps. My stomach and my whole abdomen look as if I was pregnant (I am not at 56) and I also pass winds and have lots of noise in my abdomen
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 53 minutes later

Some amount of gas, burp, bloating and flatulence (fart) is a normal phenomenon for human beings. However, when it becomes excessive and starts causing physical discomfort then it may need some kind of an intervention.

Usually gas in digestive system is sourced from ingesting atmospheric air during XXXXXXX breathing as in anxiety, while eating fast or smoking. It is also is produced during digestion of food products particularly diary products and foods XXXXXXX in carbohydrates and fibers. Excess of carbonated drinks also produce gas.

You should try to relax and de-stress yourself if you have an anxious personality. You should try to eat slowly and chew the food properly before swallowing. Reduce intake of juices, dairy products and carbonated drinks. Certain foods particularly broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage etc, and those containing fibers also may produce gas.

If these symptoms are present for a long duration, (years) then these may be a manifestation of a functional bowel disease, which is kind of a lifestyle disorder. However, if these symptoms are of recent origin and above lifestyle modifications don’t help you then you should see your local gastroenterologist to rule out any organic cause of these symptoms. Some organic diseases like malabsorption syndrome, bowel obstruction, bowel infections, and blind loop syndrome can also cause similar symptoms.

Hope I have been of help to you. Please do write back in case you have follow up queries.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dr Dinesh Singal