Ask a Urologist   »  

Painful and burning urination. Taken azo, acetaminophen and flomax, and taking radiation for prostate cancer. Low blood platelets. Suggest?

Urologist
Question
I am under going external beam radiation for low grade prostate . I have had 15 treatments out of the 28 needed. I have painful and burning nation. I have had test to rule out infection.Tried taking OTC AZO
which did not help much. I drink a lot of water to keep my urinary stream from being to weak. What is there to take that will help my pain and burning. I also take Flomax and Acetaminophen. I have low blood platelets so I was told not to take advil until my level rises. I am taking Nplate for the ITP
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Hi

I understand your query and concern.
I looked at YOUR history and the treatment given.
Unfortunately, u r suffering from the effects of radiation and the disease process itself.
U have done the right things, like taking enough water, azo otc, Flomax and acetaminophen.
U may also try taking potassium citrate 10 mls in 100mls water after food thrice daily.
Periodic emptying of the bladder would help.
Hope I answered your query.
Kindly get back for doubts, if any.
Dr G XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Painful and burning urination. Taken azo, acetaminophen and flomax, and taking radiation for prostate cancer. Low blood platelets. Suggest? 13 minutes later
Thank you for ou advice. Potassium Citrate can I purchase that in a local drug store.
Will it affect have any side affects ? Will it be Ok to take with my other meds?

Hi
Thanks.
UPSHER-SMITH LABORATORIES INC manufactures the medicine. It is available as tablet of syrup.
5 to 10 meq ( 1 to 2 tab)of the medicine can be taken thrice daily with water after food.
It may cause a minor stomach upset, otherwise safe.
You can take along with your medicines.
Hope this helps.
Dr GS, urologist